Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Friday, February 29, 2008

Reading List: February

After last month’s insane DVD watching sessions, I decided to cut down on the time I spend devouring cool shows on DVD, and instead decided to draw and read more. However, I might return to DVD-watching soon, since I still haven’t the last three seasons of The X-Files, and I recently bought the sixth season of Scrubs. And a friend let me borrow the first one of Dark Angel, which has been sitting on top of my coffee table for almost a month now.
Anyway, this is what I read in February:

Batman: Hush, vol. 1
I decided to reread this awesome comic book by Jeph Loeb and Jim Lee. More on this soon.

Dr. Slump, vol. 5
Arale wreaking havoc in Penguin Village again. However, Toriyama is starting to abuse the poop jokes. He should quit while he’s ahead.

Batman: Hush, vol. 2
The second half of this phenomenal series. A must read!

Star Wars: Allegiance
A very entertaining Star Wars book by Timothy Zahn, Allegiance spotlights a bunch of stormtroopers with a conscience, and a young Mara Jade starting to work as the Emperor’s Hand. Highly entertaining.

Dr. Slump, vol. 6
More Arale, more laughs, way too much poop.

The Goon, vol. 1: Nothin’ but Misery
I had heard about how funny The Goon was, and I had been wanting to get my hands on the first paperback for a few months. I finally did, and it blew me away. The story is cool, the artwork is great, the oil-painted covers are amazing, and the dialogue is freaking hysterical. If you like humor and horror, you have to read The Goon.

C is for Corpse
The third book (duh!) in the Kinsey Millhone alphabet mysteries, this is my favorite so far. More on that soon.

Empowered, vol. 1
Talk about hilarious graphic novels! Adam Warren knocks it out of the ball park with this spoof about incompetent superheroine Emp, who, for some reason, always ends up bound, gagged, and half naked. Add a thug boyfriend, a ninja roommate, and an evil overlord who spends his days watching DVDs, and you get a book that will make you laugh until you cry.

Fathom
I decided to reread Michael Turner’s Fathom, and I once again enjoyed it very much. The story is interesting, and the artwork is truly gorgeous. Turner rocks!

Duma Key
I already told you how great the latest Stephen King book is. Read it!

The Goon, vol. 2: My Murderous Childhood
Eric Powell brings us The Goon (and Franky) again in the second volume of the series. Powell has, by the way, earned an Eisner award for the series, so there might be something going on here. Like a terrific book you should be reading!

The Goon, vol. 3: Heaps of Ruination
More Goon goodness, including old friends like The Buzzard, Dr. Alloy, Bruno, and Spider. And orangutans that burst into flames! Hold on --I think those were in volume two. Never mind…

Reaching Paradise Through Intercourse
A cute book written by Sam Drash that compiles American towns with peculiar names. Who would have thought there were towns named (among others) Accident, Bad Axe, Boring, Cashtown, Colon, Cut-n-Shoot, Gay Mills, Hungry Horse, or Toad Suck? Well, they exist, unlikely as it may sound.

9 comments:

Nash said...

Te leiste ya el de la paja en el ojo de Dios???

Mario Alba said...

Las tres interrogaciones me hacen pensar que estás ansioso, querido. Aún no me lo he leído, no; pero caerá este mes, seguro :)

Anonymous said...

¿Qué tal, gente?

Me he marcado el viernes que viene como fecha de mi regreso a las soleadas tierras de Jhanna. Que ya os vengo echando de menos y eso. Ejem..

Mario Alba said...

Eso, eso! A ver si vuelves, que nosotros también te echamos de menos!

Nash said...

Si vuelve a casa, que estamos muy solos y con poca gente con la que meternos :-)
Las tres interrogaciones no son ansias es que se me pega el dedo al teclado. Es una novela que me gusto mucho y tengo ganas de saber tu opinion.
Y hablando de novelas por fin tengo la última de Harry Potter, y por el momento esta pero que muy interesante, he dejado de leer Festin de cuervos.

Mario Alba said...

En cuanto termine la que estoy leyendo, empiezo la tuya :)

Anonymous said...

Yo también ando con Harry Potter, aunque voy a medias porque tengo que compartir el libro.

También me regalaron la segunda parte de los pilares de la tierra que empecé el otro día, y de no acordarme, no recuerdo ni como se llama.

La paja en el ojo de Dios, ¿de quién es y de qué va? Yo me apunto también a cualquier sugerencia.

Carmen.

Mario Alba said...

Yo leí Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows cuando se publicó en julio, y me encantó, como ya sabéis. Ya me diréis qué os parece.


El libro del Follett debe ser World Without End, aunque no he leído ni ése ni Los pilares (debo ser el único).

Y el de La paja en el ojo de Dios me lo regaló Nacho para mi cumpleaños. El título original es The Mot in God's Eye, y está escrito por Larry Niven y Jerry Pournelle, pero aún no lo he empezado. Ahora mismo estoy ocupado con el segundo libro de la trilogía de The Engineer, Evil for Evil. Pero pronto, pronto...

Nash said...

La paja en el ojo de Dios es una de las mejores novelas de ciencia ficción donde nos relatan el encuentro entre dos civilizaciones completamente diferentes. Esta enmarcado dentro de la saga "Historias del universo conocido" creo que se llama asi. Dentro de esta saga esta tambien las novelas el soldado y el mercenario de estos mismos autores que tambien me encantaron. Es una pena que en castellano no hayan publicado ni la mitad de los libros