Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Saturday, February 02, 2008

Noa Conquers the US

This piece of news is over a week old, but I have somehow managed not to talk about it until now. The old news is that, at long last, French publisher Soleil is crossing the ocean and coming to America. Apparently, Marvel Comics,of all companies, has secured a deal with Soleil to publish their books in English here in the US. There are some cool series we should all be very excited to get, such as Humberto Ramos’s K, Crisse & Meglia’s Cañari, or Dack & Gaby’s Les blondes. However, the undisputed best thing about this deal is that Sky Doll will be released in the US. And if you know anything about my taste in comics, then you know I worship two comic books above all others: J. Scott Campbell’s Danger Girl, and Alessandro Barbucci & Barbara Canepa’s Sky Doll.

This news posits an interesting question, though. As I said somewhere else, I am curious to find out how American audiences respond to the book; but, above all, I’m very interested to see what Marvel does with the source material. Sky Doll is quite far from what Marvel usually puts out, and therefore I wonder if they’re going to censor the book, or if they will just slap a “mature audience” sticker on the cover and be done with it. Also, I wonder if they will be true to the original editions and release the books as oversized hardcovers, or if they will go the cheap way and shrink them, alleging conflicts with the standard American size and stuff like that. Finally, I wonder if they will desecrate the story by interrupting the flow of the tale every few pages to insert publicity, a horrible practice American comics subject us to month after month.

At any rate, and regardless of what ends up happening, this is very good news, and I am glad American comic book readers will get a chance to discover one of the best comic books ever. Best of luck, Noa!

2 comments:

Jorge said...

Sky Doll is basically what Pride of Baghdad doesn´t achieve. A very nice plot, interesting ideas and well developed along the story. I have just read first issue but I´ll get the next two. It´s a great piece of news European comics cross the ocean to the US. We´ll see how American audience responds. I don´t think they are gonna censure some comics, that would extremely dangerous for their industrial interests. However, I can´t imagine somebody from Macon (Georgia) reading Sky Doll. That would quite a shock!

Mario Alba said...

True that. I was going to say that only smart people in Macon, GA, will read Sky Doll, but if they're smart, they've probably left the city already, hahaha.