Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Sunday, February 10, 2008

Confessions of a Straight Guy

So the second episode of the fourth season of Lost was on a couple of nights ago, and I was watching it with all my senses focused on the show… Kind of. Thing is, Bravo's Project Runway was on at the same time, and this is what I have to confess: I like that show. I've only watched it twice: once, last year, during a marathon that kept me glued to the screen for at least three hours; and last Thursday during Lost's commercial breaks. I think I like PR because it's about a bunch of creative people being creative. For those of you who've never heard of the show, supermodel Heidi Klum hosts this reality TV competition in which a bunch of fashion designers compete to be the winner. And yes, I did say fashion designers. The contestants are faced with different (but equally difficult) challenges, and the loser has to leave the competition. Said challenges vary greatly, and, in the past, they have included things such as: having to make an article of clothing using only jeans or denim; making garments using every single piece of fabric they previously bought; creating clothes using only black and white; put together something in a very limited period of time. And then last night's: making an outfit for a particular WWE diva.

A bunch of WWE women (including hottie Michelle McCool) showed up at the studio, and the contestants had to choose one of them and then design and sew a costume for them to wrestle in, taking into account their personality and particular shtick. I was thinking how cool this particular challenge was and what I would do, when something took form in my mind: the dragonkini.

Watching the designers struggling to come up with a concept, and pondering the challenge myself, the idea for the dragonkini popped in my head out of nowhere. But did it really come to me out of nowhere? I think I can see what influenced me: the wrestlers skimpy outfits, the tons of comic books I've read over the years, my sick and twisted mind (always a given), my love for dragons, some weird thong design somebody sent me a long time ago (I wish I could find the pictures), and the Witchblade. I think all these elements came together and created something new under the sun. You may or may not like it, and you may argue this garment would not be practical or even possible to wear, but I kinda like it. And to prove this could indeed be worn (maybe as a swimsuit instead of as fighting apparel), check out our model wearing it (front and back). See what I told you? The dragonkini rules!

No comments: