Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Says the Dictionary!

The Heartbreak Kid opened last Friday, and I thought I'd go see it and have a good time. I don't know how long it had been since I had seen a movie directed by the Farrelly brothers, but I guess it had been long enough to forget their movies are rated R for a reason. I, of course, don't mind profanity or nudity in my movies, so I wasn't shocked or outraged (and, let's face it, most of the situations in this movie call for profanity). Also, if anybody goes to see a movie by the Farrellys, they have no business being outraged, because they should know what they're getting into.

The Heartbreak Kid is an update of an older movie I've never seen, and I don't know about the original, but this new take is funny as hell. Ben Stiller is the main character, Eddie Cantrow, a guy who, after being single for forty years marries hottie Lila (Malin Akerman). They go on their honeymoon… and it is then that Eddie meets Miranda (Michelle Monaghan), the woman of his dreams. There's just one tiny, almost negligible problem: he's just gotten married!
The story is entertaining, the dialogue is side-splittingly funny, and the acting is spot on. For some reason, I enjoy seeing Ben Stiller suffer, and the way he negotiates his way through his delitcate situation and the tales he spins in this movie are just amazing. Malin Akerman does an incredible job of being obnoxious, and you feel like slapping her most of the time ("Well, if it doesn't pay, I don't think you can call it a job." "Says who?" "Says the dictionary!"). And then Michelle Monaghan (whom I discovered as a blonde in the very humorous Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, even though she apparently was in Mr. & Mrs. Smith, a movie I own) is great as the outgoing cutie vacationing with her family. She's fun, adorable, and ridiculously gorgeous.

I guess you could say THK is a romantic comedy, but I don't think that description does it justice. There is love and romance, granted, but, just like previous Farrely Bros. movies, this is not your basic romantic comedy. It's wild and mischievous and over the top: a Farrelly comedy, in other words. I had a great time watching it, and that's what matters. So go ahead and give it a try. If nothing else, you'll laugh really hard, which is always a good thing.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not that fond of the Farrelly movies, even though they don't have any atrocious films that I can remember.

But then again there's that grossness factor Fel talks about. Not that I'm a puritanist or anything, but most of the time I think they add things that are completely out of place. I mean... ¿did we really need to see Ben Stiller zip mess in There's Something About Mary? The scene was crazy funny enough without that unfamous second.

Anyway, if you're going seeing a Farrelly's movie, you know what you're going to get, just as Fel says. Don't play the outraged one, because they don't lie abut what they're offering you. Just the same that happens with Mr. Michael Bay.

And their movies are funny as hell, that's for sure. :)

huitzilin said...

I have to admit that the zipper scene in There's Something About Mary is probably the one I remember best. That, and the stiff "gelled" hair.

Dr. Banting said...

Mis queridos "freakies"...

La rubia actriz (y sueca para mas señas) Malin Akerman, será "Silk Espectre" en la adaptación al cine de "Watchmen" de Alan Moore.

Veredicto: Le faltan tetas para el personaje!!!

Mario Alba said...

Hahaha. Para examinarle los meniconados atributos, no tienes sino que echarle un vistazo a The Heartbreak Kid, donde los enseña todo lo que quieras ;)

Anonymous said...

¡Entonces desde luego que habrá que ver la película! :D

Ya ves, Fel. Te curras una buena crítica para que luego lo que nos arrastre al cine sea lo de siempre. :\

Mario Alba said...

Tetas! Tetas! Aunque la verdad es que prefiero a Michelle Monaghan ;)

Anonymous said...

La cual no es hermana de Merr.. estoo... Dominic Monaghan. Que lo he mirado en IMDb. Ya me hubiera extrañado que hubieran tenido los mismos padres. Por lo del no-parecido físico y eso, básicamente.

Mario Alba said...

Hahaha. Yo también lo miré hace tiempo, por aquello del peculiar apellido y semejantes narices, a mis ojos. Pero vamos: ni punto de comparación entre la Bella y... el Hobbit, I guess ;)

Anonymous said...

Jejejejeje. Pues la verdad, no me había fijado, pero sí que tienen apéndices nasales curiosamente parecidos. Semejantes narices, narices semejantes.
Nunca hubiera pensado que a una chica le pudiera quedar tan bien la nariz de un hobbit. Total, mientras no tenga sus pies...

Mario Alba said...

O su altura, o su no muy bello vello, o... Vamos, que Michelle Monaghan está buena, pero los Hobbits no.

Anonymous said...

Bueno, eso dependería del grado de desesperación del sujeto sobre el que experimentemos. Quiero decir, igual Chiquito de la Calzada no le hacía ascos a un Hobbit. O igual liga más que todos nosotros juntos, que también podría ser.

Mario Alba said...

Hombre, ligar más que yo es bien fácil, porque lo único que tienes que hacer es... ligar;)

Anonymous said...

Jejeje. Prueba a poner un anuncio de contacto aquí en la Soleada Jhanna, a ver si hay suerte o algo. ;)

Mario Alba said...

Sí, hahahaha. Algo así como "Si eres una tía buena (porque es evidente que eres inteligente, dado que nos estás leyendo), deja un mensaje con tu dirección de correo electrónico, y me pondré en contacto contigo", hahahaha.