Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Reading List: September

I really haven't been reading a lot this month. The main reason, as I anticipated in August's list, is that my summer vacation is over, which pretty much reduces the time I can devote to reading by half. And then there's The X-Files that I keep on watching (I'm a third deep into the fourth season), and Stephen King's The Stand that I'm still reading on the side. Bottom line is, there's only four books this month, none of them too long.

El Lazarillo de Tormes
I had never read this Spanish Literature classic, so I decided to fix that. And the fact that I also had to read it for work purposes had something to do with my choice too...

Pyramids
Terry Pratchett's seventh DiscWorld novel was good but not great. I laughed out loud and enjoyed this Ancient Egypt spoof, but it wasn't as satisfying a read as, say, The Truth or Monstrous Regiment. I still liked it, though.

Napalm & Silly Putty
Written by comedian George Carlin, this book made me laugh so hard I was almost crying. Carlin likes to make people angry by telling them what they don't want to hear, which of course makes him an incredibly entertaining fellow. There are so many quotes I could share with you that I don't really know which one to choose. So, instead, I'll recommend you to just go and buy the book: it's seven bucks at Barnes & Noble, and we're talking hardcover here!

A Spell for Chameleon
It came as a shock that I liked A Spell for Chameleon as much as I did. I've had this book for over three years, and I hadn't read it because the only other book by Piers Anthony that I had read before, Split Infinity, was so awfully bad that I didn't want to have anything to do with the author ever again. And yet ASFC started to call me from the shelf, so I decided to give it a chance… and it blew me away. It is so imaginative, so fast-paced, and so enormously entertaining that I read it in like three days (which is fast for me, mind you). Amazingly enjoyable!

Young Avengers: Sidekicks
This book was actually way more fun than I had anticipated. The script by Allan Heinberg is dynamic and very entertaining, and the artwork by Jim Cheung is very good.

Young Avengers: Family Matters
However, the second volume of the series is not as good. While it was still fun and surprising, it felt like many other comics I've read through the years, so the tale felt a bit stale. In addition to that, the first two issues are not drawn by Cheung, but by one of those fill-in pencillers that I don't appreciate very much. And to add insult to injury, they included a Young Avengers Special that was just horribly, horribly illustrated.
PS: Por cierto, éste es nuestro post número 500! Go us!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

El post 500 y nada especial para celebrarlo, como ya hemos hecho otras veces antes. Desde luego, o nos estamos volviendo menos ególatras, o menos detallistas. Según se mire. :P

Mario Alba said...

La verdad es que no me di cuenta de que era el 500 hasta que lo hube puesto, con lo que volví y añadí la postdata. Aunque el número 400 consecutivo está al caer ;) (el lunes, para más señas).

Mario Alba said...

Y, de hecho, que sepáis que tengo preparado algo especial para los 400 posts consecutivos, hehehe. Ayer estuve trabajando en ello, y creo que os gustará...

Anonymous said...

Ah, o sea que mañana mismito tenemos sorpresa... :D

Lo que no querrá decir que nos quedaremos sin Organic, espero... Prometo poner un par de posts esta semana, va...

Mario Alba said...

Hehe, no. El evento especial está relacionado con Organic, así que no te preocupes, que tendréis la octava entrega mañana.

Y ansioso espero tus posts, que no será por temas: que si DiscWorld, que si Revelations, que si tal vez Ultra y Danger Girl...

Anonymous said...

Pues sí. Por material posteable no es.

Hala, mañana mismo martes vuelvo a postear por aquí, con cierto escéptico detective cuyo apellido empieza por N y acaba en orthern como tema. :)

Mario Alba said...

Yay! Ganas tengo de ver lo que piensas! Good ole Charlie Northern y sus cigarrillos...