Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Thursday, September 27, 2007

Survival of the Fittest

Another violent action movie (but far better than Crapfinder), Resident Evil: Extinction opened last Friday, and I got to see it for free thanks to a friend that had gotten two free tickets for it when he purchased a DVD set with the first two movies of the "planned" trilogy. (And they actually said -recently- it was always supposed to be a trilogy.) It's Milla Jovovich's Alice versus the zombies all over again, and the movie is pretty much like its two prededessors.

I think my favorite movie of the series is the first Resident Evil. Without being great, it surprised me with more quality and entertainment value than I was expecting, and for that I'm glad. The second one, Apocalypse, wasn't as good as the first one, yet it still delivered more thrills than I was expecting. Keeping with my traditional low expectations for the RE movies, I went to see Extinction thinking it'd be a waste of time. And guess what? I liked it.

RE3 picks up the story right after the end of the second movie, and it's more Mad Max than the previous installments (and sometimes even more so than the actual Mad Max movies!). There is a new character introduced (mega hottie Ali Larter, looking incredibly yummy even when fighting the undead), lots of action, lots of blood, and lots of thrills. I liked the worn, tattered, post-apocalyptic look clothes and sets had, and I loved the action sequences with Alice hacking zombies away with her curved blades. Those were so cool I wish there had been more. You guys know I'm partial to tough chicks wielding blades, and it was great to see that on the big screen. But I wish there had been more.

The one thing that bothered me was that in every single close up, Milla Jovovich's face looked photoshopped. Her face didn't look real because the lights and shadows in her face didn't look real. They looked, in fact, clumsily doctored so as to remove pores, wrinkles, and other imperfections her face probably has. This was so ridiculously taken to the extreme that, when you saw her from a little further away, you could have almost sworn she was a different (and less attractive) actress. I found that not only annoying but also distracting, since it was distressing to see the shadows on her face had nothing to do with the shadows the person talking to her onscreen had.

Other than that, the movie was a fun action romp with lots of blood and zombie goodness. And Ali Larter goodness: lots of that too. So, if you don't have very high expectations, I think you'll like the movie. It also depends on whether you liked the previous movies, of course. Personally, I rate Extinction below the first one but above Apocalypse (see their RT pitiful scores here: 1, 2, and 3); but, as I said, I liked the three of them enough to consider buying the trilogy on DVD at some point. When they're cheap. Really, really cheap.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not watching it on the big screen for the time being. Nor even for the time going.

I've got a date with Die Hard 4.0 next week, though. :)

Mario Alba said...

Hehehe. I've got a question, though. This is the second time you call the movie Die Hard 4.0. Is that the title in Spain?

Anonymous said...

Yes, that is right. As a matter of fact, I think LFoDH is the title for the movie only in the U.S.A. And abroad it is known as Die Hard 4.0. But I could be wrong on this.

Mario Alba said...

Maybe. I guess I could check IMDB, but I'll just take your word for it. I think it's stupid to call it that in Spain, since the series has always been known (rather stupidly, but hey) as La jungla de cristal. If nothing else, they should be consistent.

Anonymous said...

I looked it up, and actually, here it's called La Jungla 4.0. The 4.0 thing is true, at least. I mean, that's its name even in the UK.