Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Thursday, July 05, 2007

There's a Rat in My Soup

Brad Bird, the director of the formidable and unspeakably brilliant The Incredibles is back with the Pixar gang for this summer's animated event (never mind penguins or bees), and the result is very good, but not as good as The Incredibles. (Then again, that is unfair, because what could be better than that movie?)

Ratatouille tells the story of Remy a rat that wants to be a cook, and Linguini a hapless boy that finds himself in a kitchen. From here, hilarity ensues.

The animation is, needless to say, out of this world. Pixar's geniuses do it again, and the production quality is unsurpassable (the short movie that comes before the feature, Lifted, is also fantastic and brutally funny). The characters are well defined if sometimes a bit stereotypical, and the French accent comes and go (which is kind of strange, because even though everybody is supposed to be French, only a few of them actually speak with French accents, but I guess that's just me being picky), but their designs are always dead on, and they always look great. The backgrounds are also extremely detailed and mind-blowing in their realism and depiction, and the lighting and other special effects look even more real than their real counterparts.

The themes of the story are some of my favorite ones: chasing your dream, doing what's right, having the courage to defend your view of the world against everybody else; and they're always there underneath the comedy, which makes the story solid and compelling. Obviously, I am bound to like such a movie, and I did.

Rotten Tomatoes gives Ratatouille a 95%, and even though the movie is good, I don't think it's that good. Cars disappointed me, and even though this one is way better than last year's movie, it's certainly not Pixar's best movie. Still, it is a terrific picture I recommend everybody, and you could do worse than finding rats in the kitchen, believe me.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ratatouille's a flick I hadn't even contemplated go watching on big screen. But now I'm, at least, pretty curious about it.
So... now it's besides this Ratatouille: LFoDH, Pirates 3 (I know, I know, it's not that good, but I still wanna see it), 1408, The Simpsons Movie and maybe even Transformers. But never, EVER Evan Almighty.

Damn you, Fel. Damn you and all your "hey, check this great movie I just saw" attitude. :P

Mario Alba said...

Hahaha. I saw Transformers yesterday and I liked it (post coming at some point), but I didn't think it was great. I certainly liked LFODH much, much better, which I would have never expected.

Ratatouille was cool, but the again, it was a Pixar movie, so that was a given.

And hey, you should be happy I can warn you ahead of time about what movies to see, hehehe.

Y en un tema que no tiene nada que ver, el técnico acaba de irse y estoy usando por primera vez mi nueva y flamante conexión DSL, con la que por fin he reemplazado mi infame dial-up a pedales que he tenido durante los últimos tres años. Voy tan rápido que me despeino!

huitzilin said...

You seriously have been using dialup all this time? Wow. Now your frequent (and sometimes lengthy) posts are even more impressive.

Nash said...

Felicidades Finn ya esta en el siglo XXI, por fin podremos hablar por web cam. Reucerdo utiilzar el pando para hacer copias de seguridad de tus series y peliculas favoritas ahora que tienes velecidad.
Los comentarios que he leido de transformers por el momento son todos buenos, pero no me hare muchas ilusiones para asi no llevarme una decepcion.

Mario Alba said...

De Transformers ya hablaré en algún momento, que se me acumulan los posts que tengo preparados, hahaha.

Lo del dial-up es verdad. De hecho, el tipo que vino a instalarme la conexión dijo "I didn't know there were still people using dial-up". Pues eso.

Y quiero ir ahora luego a comprarme una webcam, Nash, así que a ver si la estreno pronto ;)