Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Thursday, March 08, 2007

Golden Times

For my 15th post in a row (consecutive day of posting #187) I thought I'd talk about one of my favorite CDs by one of my favorite bands, since I don't usually talk about music and wanted to offer some variety in this week's posts. So if you look at the picture (taken by yours truly -and yeah, that is my hand), you'll see Gyllene Tider's latest CD, Finn 5 Fel!, released in 2004. Gyllene Tider is Per Gessle's Swedish band. They make what Gessle calls power pop, they're legendary in Sweden, and yes: they sing is Swedish. Needless to say, I don't have a clue what they sing about unless I bother to translate the lyrics (which I've done on a number of occasions, as a matter of fact); but, since it's pop/rock, you can pretty much guess what the songs are about: love, flowers, and the like. My favorite songs on the CD are En sten vid en sjö i en skog, Solsken, Hjärta utan hem, and Speciell. And even though I think Konstpaus is much better (one of my favorite CDs ever, as it happens), you could do worse than getting Finn 5 Fel! and listen to it time and again. Just like any other Gessle-created album (be it in English in his solo projects The World According to Gessle -amazing- or Son of a Plumber -not that good-, or with his band Roxette; or in Swedish with his -fantastic- Mazarin project), all the songs in F5F are catchy, perfectly crafted pop pills that could be hit singles anywhere; and even though I've highlighted the aforementioned four songs, there are plenty more in F5F that will rock your world. But hey: if you don't like pop-rock music in a language you don't understand, it's no big deal. You could always get pop-rock in a language you do understand. In that case, I would recommend the extraordinary The World According to Gessle or any Roxette CD. And if you don't like pop-rock music, well, then it's your loss.

No comments: