Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Friday, March 16, 2007

Books & Novels

Yesterday, after enjoying a terrific meal at The American Café that I won't try to describe because I'm not nearly as good as Lori when it comes to describing delectable ambrosy, I found myself at Barnes & Noble. Shocking, I know. That meant money was about to be spent, but other than the second book in the A Song of Ice and Fire series, I didn't really know what I was going to get. As it turned out, though, I had nothing to be afraid of, for when it comes to me and B&N, there's always something ready to grab my attention.
I ended up buying four books. The first one is the aforementioned second book of GRRM's series, A Clash of Kings. Even thicker than the first volume, I hope it's as good as the first installment. The second one is The Inhuman Condition, by Clive Barker. I had always wanted to read something by him and still hadn't, so I decided to fix that. Let's see what happens… And the last two books are by the same author, the hilarious Bill Bryson: The Lost Continent, and A Walk in the Woods. I read the latter years ago, but I didn't own it, so I thought it was time to purchase it and re-read it; and then I saw the former and thought "what the heck", and got it too. If nothing else, I'll be rolling on the floor with laughter.
So yeah: expect these titles to pop up again on the blog when I read them and review them. Stay tuned for more books, and for tomorrow's list of recently-bought comic books!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bueno, cuatro libros que te van a durar en el estante de "pendientes" no mas de mes y medio, presumo.

Por cierto, gracias otra vez por tu super-regalo de cumpleaños. Y sí que tiene que ser bueno "A Walk in the Woods", para que me lo regales y al poco tiempo ya te lo estés comprando para poder releértelo. Viciosillo.

Mario Alba said...

Hahaha. Es MUY divertido. De hecho, cuando la dependienta vio que lo había comprado, me preguntó si ya lo había leído antes. Le dije que sí, y los dos nos pusimos a hablar de lo gracioso que es. Espero que esto no te haga ahora tener demasiadas expectativas!

huitzilin said...

Oh, come on, now I want to know what you ate! (and thanks for the compliment, btw)

Mario Alba said...

Okay, okay (and you're welcome). My friend Michelle and I couldn't decide if we wanted the Burgundy burger or the Hawaiian salad, so we ordered both and split them. The burger was beyond this world, with melted provolone, sauteed mushrooms, and a delicious sauce that I'm gonna guess was called... hmmm... burgundy sauce.
Then the salad had optional chicken and shrimp she didn't want, but everything else came with it: lettuce, spinach, interesting spicy (not too hot) walnuts, sliced strawberries, and breadsticks with melted blue cheese. There was also a sauce, but I don't remember the name.
I know it doesn't sound like a very exciting meal, but I swear both dishes tasted way better than you would imagine.

Anonymous said...

Sauteed mushrooms... Ehem. I remember the good old days when burguers came with meat and mustard and ketchup and almost nothing else. You may say I'm a romantic (but I'm not the only one). :P

Mario Alba said...

Gimme some blue cheese and mushrooms in my burger and I could die happy!

Anonymous said...

Die because of the blue cheese and mushrooms? Well, at least that's for sure a great way to spend your last breath. ;P

Anonymous said...

(sic)