Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Copyright Notice

I just got the letter. It is, of course, no big deal for the rest of mankind, but I am pretty excited. I don't know if you've noticed how I usually try not to give titles and names of the characters I create or the tales I write, and I usually only use them after one of you names them first (and still, I try not to). Or how (except for my graphic novel) I never post pictures of my characters. The reason is that, even though my stuff might never be published, I'm terrified somebody will try and steal it. I don't think it's good enough to be stolen, but you never know.

However, as some of you know, a couple of months ago I started to seriously think about submitting some of my stuff to Spanish publishers to see if they might be smart enough to like my book… I mean, if they'd be interested in publishing my drivel. As I said before, I don't trust them, so I didn't feel comfortable sending them anything without copyrighting my work first. Yeah, once you write it down you automatically become the owner of the work, sure. All that is fine and sounds good, but how would you prove it is your work if somebody stole it and published it first? That's why I decided spending money on copyrighting my book would be worthwhile.

Obviously, you can kind of guess what's coming next. I submitted a copy of my manuscript in January, sent them the check, and today I got the letter. As of today, Dae Chronicles: The Eiram Affair is copyrighted under my name, and a copy of the book resides at The Library of Congress in Washington, DC. I mean, how cool is that?

The next step is, of course, sending it to a few publishers in Spain so they can reject it. But the cool thing is that reject it they might, but steal it they cannot. So now that I have nothing to lose except for money on postage and my self-esteem when I'm rejected, I am at last ready to send my friend Dae out there to fight her way to a printing press. And on the subject of Dae, stay tuned for tomorrow's post. Have a great day!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Me alegro de que ya seas el oficial escritor de The Eiram Affair. O, mejor dicho, de lo que me alegro mucho es de que haya una copia de tu obra en Washington. Como algún día me pase por allí me iré a ver si la encuentro. Is cool that or what? :D

Anonymous said...

Y no he dicho lo que me mola el dibujod e la portada, que, creo, no había visto nunca. Nordesson se sale. :)

Mario Alba said...

HEhehe. Sí. Si voy a DC otra vez, preguntaré a ver si lo puedo ver, hahaha.

Lo que no me puedo creer es que nunca hubieras visto ese dibujo. ¿En serio? Vaya, pensaba que sí. La verdad es que me gusta bastante... Pero esto me hace preguntarme si has visto los dibujos del primer y tercer libro. Hmmm...

Anonymous said...

Pues la verdad es que no lo recuerdo. Pero eso no quiere decir que no lo haya visto nunca. Con la cantidad de dibujos tuyos que guardo en el disco duro (figurada y no figuradamente), lo tengo un poco atascado (solo figuradamente).

Mario Alba said...

Bueno. Sea como fuere, visto lo has, aunque haya sido dos años después de haberlo hecho :P

Anonymous said...

Y bien que me ha gustado. Sobre todo, obviamente, la composición del dibujo... y Nordesson. Que le has dibujado en plan molón del copón.

Mario Alba said...

Hahaha. También me gusta la composición, debo decir. Y Nordesson siempre es molón, hahahaha.

Anonymous said...

SIEMPRE es molón. Tanto dibujado en una portada como tomándose tranquilamente una cerveza mientras a su alrededor se desarrolla una TPdT de esas que hacen época. ;)

Mario Alba said...

Hehehe. Recuerdo esa escena: Nordesson, una categoría en sí mismo ;)

Mario Alba said...

Y, de hecho, si lees el penúltimo capítulo de la segunda parte, La reina de las hadas (Ultimate Edition), descubrirás que es más molón de lo que recordabas. Básicamente, y si recuerdas, hay una escena en la que él y las tres chicas van corriendo por el bosque, persiguiendo a una de las hadas en cuestión. En la versión original (en la que Greedo disparaba primero), Dae suelta una rama que le da al Nórdico Caballero en la cara. Sin embargo, al revisar el capítulo después de haber terminado el tercer libro (y haber llegado a conocer mejor a los personajes), me di cuenta de que eso jamás le pasaría a Nordesson, así que sucede algo un poco diferente ahí y al parar/caer todos...

Anonymous said...

Jeje, sí, recuerdo la escena en su versión del 77. Lo que no recuerdo es si realmente me he leído la Edición Especial. Tendré que echarle un vistazo a ver...

Mario Alba said...

Echa, echa.