Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Graveyard Shift

I bought the first issue of iZombie for three reasons. One, because the 11 O'Clock Comics guys raved about it. Two, because I've found myself enjoying a lot of Vertigo books recently. And three, because it was only one buck. I was reluctant to get this book written by Chris Roberson because it was drawn by Mike Allred, an artist best know for his character Madman. I know everyone loves Allred (and Madman), but I've never really warmed up to either one, and therefore I thought I wouldn't enjoy the comic book. However, I am happy to say I was quite wrong.

The story is quirky and somewhat original, and Allred's artwork has come a long way from what I remembered. The main character, Gwen, is a zombie that looks "normal", and she must eat brains once a month to avoid becoming, well, a brainless zombie. To ensure ease of access to the freshly deceased, she works as an undertaker in the local cemetery, where she gets to hang out with a ghost from the sixties and a wereterrier she calls Spot. Is that quirky enough for you?

While neither story or pictures blew me away, iZombie was entertaining, and I might (maybe, perhaps, we'll see) buy the first trade whenever it comes out, so let me know if you check it out, and tell me what you think!

No comments: