Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Monday, May 24, 2010

Deviants

I have fond memories of the two or three issues of the original DV8 series from the 90's. It was about the second time (after Impulse) I had come across Humberto Ramos's artwork, and I actually own a couple of original pages by Ramos from the series. Therefore, when I saw the first issue of the new DV8 series, I thought I owed it to myself to at least check it out. True, the creative team is completely different now (Brian Wood writes and Rebekah Isaacs draws), but I enjoyed the first Northlanders trade by Wood and so I thought I'd give it a try.

I was happy to see the story focused on Copycat, or, at least, she is the narrator that puts together a string of flashbacks. I always like Copycat, and it was nice to see her again. The story is mysterious, and Wood reveals details and information little by little. For some unknown reason, the team has somehow landed on a strange, primitive world (with two suns!), and the superpowered team members are understandably mistaken for gods. And that's about as much as the reader finds out. Interesting, but perhaps not great.

The artwork is fine as well, but I didn't think it was exceptional. Isaacs is certainly competent, and her style fits the story, but I guess I miss the way Ramos and Campbell and Lee depicted the characters, and it's simply not the same. Before you say "well, duh!", I realize it's not supposed to be the same, and that that's the whole point, yet I wish it was, at least when it comes to the visuals. (I mean, check out the cover by Lee accompanying these lines, in color here.) Or maybe I would be happier if one of my favorite artists had drawn the book, I don't know. Still, DV8 #1 was an interesting read, and I might even get the trade when it comes out. Didn't I say the same about iZombie and American Vampire? I think I'm starting to see a pattern here…

2 comments:

Nash said...

Brutal el dibujo del amigo Lee, cuando pueda me leo y traduzco todo lo que has puesto que me da mucha pereza :-)

Mario Alba said...

Hahaha. Hay que practicar el inglés!