Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Lie to Me

I got to watch The Invention of Lying on the plane on my way to Spain, and while it wasn't great, it was at least entertaining. When I saw the preview for the first time, I thought the movie looked like a one-trick pony, which turned out to be pretty accurate.

In a world where nobody lies and the concepts of fiction and lying simply don't exist, Mark Bellison (Ricky Gervais) discovers he can say things which are not true and everyone will believe them without questioning them. Therefore, he spends the whole movie lying to everyone to get what he wants --except for the girl he likes, Anna (Jennifer Garner), who he refuses to lie to hoping she will like him for who he is, and not for what he tells her to believe. But I bet you already knew that's what was going to happen.

The part about Mark creating religion was pretty funny, and the fact that Gervais is a know atheist made it even funnier for me and more insulting to a lot of people in this country, but overall the whole movie was just okay. I didn't find Gervais a particularly likeable leading man, and the movie made me chuckle more than it made me laugh out loud. Still, you could certainly do worse than watching it, but you could also do much better.

2 comments:

Nash said...

Bueno esperaremos a que este en estrenos e-mule para verla. Que el ciene esta muy caro y cuando nos suban el IVA todavia más.

Mario Alba said...

No te pierdes nada, no te preocupes ;)