Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Thirteen WoWs

I had been buying the World of Warcraft comic books for over a year, but I had only read the first two issues. I remember reading issue one, and then, when the second issue came out, I had pretty much forgotten everything about the first one. I read the second one nonetheless, but I was rather confused, so I decided I would wait until I had five or six, and then I would read them all in a row.

Months went by, and then I realized the series was about to end (it was supposed to be a twelve-issue series), so I might as well just wait until I had all twelve of them before reading them. It was after buying #12 that I discovered the series had been so successful that Wildstorm had decided to make it an ongoing series. So I got issue thirteen, and I decided it was about time I read those books, just in case they happened to be horrible and I had been wasting my money. Enter Christmas break, the perfect time to lay on the couch and read.

I am happy (and relieved) to say that World of Warcraft is a tremendously fun and entertaining read. I found myself pouring over the different issues quickly and reading the adventures of Lo’Gosh, Broll, and Valeera with interest and exhilaration. Walter Simonson, the legendary comic book writer, has been doing a great job with the series, and I hope he stays with WoW for a long, long time. Good dialogue, interesting stories, and compelling characters make for solid entertainment, and Simonson delivers the goods. As for the artwork, well… The first seven issues are drawn by Ludo Lullabi, and they look great. He has a somewhat maga-esque style that just looks great. However, issue seven was his last issue, and a Mike Bowden draws issues eight through twelve. And he is not a bad artist, but his artwork isn’t exciting and full of life like Lullabi’s is. He is just competent, but he certainly is better than the guy they got to draw issue thirteen, Jon Buran. Again, he is not bad, just mediocre, and after having seen Lullabi’s depiction of the characters, Mr. Buran falls horribly short.

So, if you’re interested, you can get the Lullabi issues in hardcover. They definitely are the best-looking pages in the series, and they will give you a taste of the work Simonson is doing with the Blizzard property. After that, if you are interested (and I think you will be, if you like fantasy), keep reading, but expect no awesome artwork. Bring Lullabi back!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jejeje, gran título postil, Fel. Me alegra que te guste la serie, y según leía el post empezaba a tener ganas de echarle una comprobación hacia fuera. Claro que luego se me han ido quitando según leía que los dibujos cada vez son peores, y que encima la han hecho serie ilimitada. Mejor me dedico a Witchblade.

Mario Alba said...

Sin duda, Witchblade es muy superior, pero el primer arco de WoW está de lo más bien. Y a lo mejor los dibujos de los reemplazos de Lullabi te gustan más que a mí, quién sabe.

Y hablando de Witchblade, ya ha salido el 123. Tengo que pasarme por la tienda de comics...

nick bradshaw said...

Yeh warcraft needs a solid artist on full time, they keep bouncing back and forth ( all talented though). could be a really fun fantasy book . nice site! :)

Mario Alba said...

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, Nick, and I'm glad you like the blog.

Regarding Warcraft, maybe YOU should draw it. I loved you Danger Girl issues (the best ones after Campbell's), and your Army of Darkness and Rokkin books were terrific too. Seeing as you've done work for WildStorm in the past, maybe you could suggest they hire you for Warcraft.

Anyway, thanks for visiting. I'm adding your blog to my links section.

Nash said...

Es lamentable que las compañias de comics todavia no entienda que para que una serie funcione los dibujantes y guionistas deberian ser mas fijos para que se involucren en la obra.

Anonymous said...

Lo que me recuerda que ayer no echaron H&D porque pusieron una p%$@ mierda de gala de Gran Hermano. Su p%$@ madre. Ya hay rumores de que se van a cargar la serie porque no tiene audiencia. ¿Y cómo la va a tener, si cuando estás preparado para verla la sustityen por una mierda del calibre de la estación espacial internacional?

Vergüenza de televisión, leches.

Mario Alba said...

Hahaha. No me quiero reír, pues siento tu dolor, pero es que luego tienen la cara de preguntarse cómo es que la serie (o programa, olo que sea en cada caso específico) no tiene audiencia. Menuda panda de mentecatos.

Anonymous said...

Vergüenza ajena me da, la verdad.

Por ejemplo, Antena 3 tiene la costumbre de aprovechar los estrenos en el cine para poner telefilmes relativos al tema que tocan. Por ejemplo, ahora que se estrena Valkyrie, ellos aprovechan para poner el telefilm homónimo, anunciándolo como "la película que inspiró a Tom Cruise". Vergüenza.

Y además ahora tienen mucho tirón los porgramas esos que te hacen millonario al instante. Y no son concursos de conocimientos, ni habilidad, ni nada. Simplemente se basan en que la gente mande mensajes de móvil a un número (cantidad a especificar en letra pequeña) a ver si en el inevitable sorteo les toca medio millón de euros o algo así. Es más, según me han dicho, en Cuatro ya anuncian un programa de ese estilo en el que el bote se lo lleva el que mande más SMSes. Directamente.

Puede que sea una frase hecha, pero, en serio, no sé dónde vamos a llegar.

Mario Alba said...

Vergonzoso es la palabra correcta, ciertamente.