Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Friday, January 30, 2009

Reading List: January

The first month of 2009 ends with the first Reading List of the year. Four books and seven graphic novels sounds like an acceptable balance for January, don’t you think? Let’s see what I read this month:

Which Lie Did I Tell?
This book by William Goldman is packed with funny bits, interesting anecdotes, and great writing. Highly recommended for anyone who wants to have a good time reading some nonfiction.

Skeleton Crew
An old short-story collection by Stephen King, Skeleton Crew includes The Mist among other great tales. I enjoyed most of them, and my favorites were: The Mist, The Monkey, The Raft, The Reaper's Image, Nona, Survivor Type, and especially The Ballad of the Flexible Bullet.

Avengers Disassembled: Thor
The first one of the three Thor books I read this month, this volume was much weaker than I expected. The review is coming, though, so I won’t say anything else here.

Hellboy II: The Art of the Movie
I bought this book after watching the extras on the DVD, and not only did I get cool artwork and pictures from the movie, but the script as well. This book includes the complete shooting script for Hellboy II as well as lots of notes on the visuals of the movie. A fun read!

Las rubias, vol. 3
The third installment in Gaby and Dzack’s blonde-joke series, this volume offers the same laughs and cute artwork we enjoyed in the two previous books.

Thor, vol. 1
The best volume of the three I read this month, the review is coming soon, so I’d rather not say anything else here either.

Secret Invasion: Thor
Once again, you’re about to read about this book in detail, so I won’t spoil it here.

Las rubias, vol. 4
Really, just like volume three, this book is cute and amusing and little else.

Wolverine: Get Mystique
I already told you about this cool Wolverine story by Jason Aaron and Ron Garney here.

The Ultimates 3
This seems to be a recurring theme today, but you’ll read about this book by Jeph Loeb and Joe Madureira very soon.

Broken Angels
The second book by Richard K. Morgan starring Takeshi Kovacs was a crushing disappointment. I’m sure you want to hear more about it, and I sure want to tell you. Next week.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sonoro tragamiento de saliva ante las palabras "crushing disappointment" relacionadas con el bueno de Takeshi. Veremos.

Por cierto, Fel, tú que sabes inglés: ¿"Disappointment" comparte raíz con "appointment"? ¿Son palabras con una relación, más o menos como lo son "cover" y "discover"? O "cubrir" y "descubrir", ya que me pongo. ¿O quizá es que debería dejar de quemar neuronas en darle vueltas a estas bobadas?

Mario Alba said...

Nunca se me había ocurrido pensarlo, pero es posible. Tendré que investigarlo.

Con respecto a las andanzas de Mr. Kovacs, parezco ser casi el único que piensa esto (no hay más que ver las críticas en Amazon), pero ufff... A ver si pongo el post el lunes.

Anonymous said...

Espérolo ansioso. Ya he detenido en seco todos mis avances para hacerme con Broken Angels, hasta nueva review.

Mario Alba said...

Tendrás que esperar hasta el viernes, que es cuando la he programado, pero espero que te resulte útil e interesante.

Después de escribirla, estuve leyendo las dos críticas de Amazon que ponen el libro a caer de un burro, y coincido con ellos en todo lo que dicen.