Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Monday, January 19, 2009

Ravish Me With Your Words

I had been interested in watching The Tudors since I first saw the commercials for season one a couple of years ago. I remember Jorge saying he liked the show, and I couldn't wait to check it out. So when Halagan got me the first season for my birthday, I wasted no time and watched the first episode. Little did I know that, by the time I went to bed that day, I would have watched six (out of ten) episodes. But that's what ended up happening.

The Tudors, created by Michael Hirst, starts with King Henry VIII when the Boleyn sisters are about to enter his life. From that moment, we witness English and European history in the making, and we get to meet kings, princes, cardinals, ambassadors, popes, and all sorts of interesting characters.

I've forgotten whatever history I learned in school, so I won't vouch for the accuracy of the events as depicted on the show. I did notice, though, that some things are different from what I saw and read in The Other Boleyn Girl last year, so I know that at least one of these two accounts is not exactly right. This actually made me wonder what William Goldman would think about it. Is it okay if we are not faithful to the historical events as long as we respect the core of the story, its heart, its intention? Well, perhaps.

What I can certainly attest to is the solid writing and the amazing performances in the show. Jonathan Rhys Meyers (Henry VIII) I already respected as an actor, but he blew me away with his portrayal of the English king, and his passionate desire for Anne Boleyn. Another actor I love, Sam Neill, plays Cardinal Wosley, and he does such a formidable job that I kept asking myself why he hasn't been showing up on every single movie over the last I don't know how many years. And what can I say about Natalie Dormer, who plays Anne Boleyn? I'm not sure whether I was expecting her to be just a pretty face (and she is gorgeous, my friends; I wonder what Nash will think about her), but she proved to be a tremendously talented actress. And beautiful. And I could keep listing everyone in the show, but let me say this instead: not even once did I find myself thinking somebody wasn’t believable. All the performances are rock-solid, the scripts tight and interesting, and the storylines and the relationships between characters are powerful and incredibly compelling. I found myself both rooting for and hating Henry at the same time. I realized I was sitting on the edge of my seat every time he was near Anne and their chemistry threatened with setting my TV on fire. Hell, I was even holding my breath on more than one occasion, as I watched, almost petrified and glued to my couch, Henry and Anne staring at each other, getting closer, desiring each other.

So, will I get season two? I'll probably own it already by the time you read this. Do I recommend you guys watch this show? Well, I would think the previous paragraphs render that question unnecessary.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Así me gustan a mí las series. Interesantes, absorbentes, didácticas y asequibles. Esto último lo digo porque, con diez capítulos por temporada, no da miedo pensar en ponerse a verla. Porque querer empezar a ver de cero ahora series de esas que sobrepasan las siete u ocho temporadas (a 22 episodios de 43 minutos cada una) es perder la vida. Cinco días con sus veinticuatro horas, más exactamente.

Vamos, que fijo que The Tudors acabo comprobándola hacia fuera.

Mario Alba said...

Como ya te dije por email, tengo la segunda desde hace semana y media, y aún no me he dado permiso para empezarla. Lo malo es que, como no empiece ya, llegará la séptima de Smallville y se me empezará a acumular la faena.

Anonymous said...

Ya te digo, jeje. Qué tortura. Y además ya llega Lost.

Mario Alba said...

Hehe. Es verdad. Hoy o mañana creo que hacen el primer episodio. Y hablando de series, esta semana viene en Entertainment Weekly un reportaje con las series nuevas o que estrenan temporada por estas fechas, y hay una o dos que parecen interesantes. Me gusta la idea de Harper's Island, aunque no creo que dure mucho. Y Nathan Fillion estrena nueva serie (Castle, creo), que podría no estar mal. Aparte de eso, Dollhouse, y poco más.

Anonymous said...

¿Qué pasó con Fringe?

Mario Alba said...

Ah, sí... No tiene mala pinta. A fin de cuentas, es una copia de The X-Files, hehehe.