Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Thursday, May 29, 2008

Reading List: May

It looks like I haven't been reading too much this month. Actually, I've been pretty busy socializing, playing Gears of War, drawing, and finishing The X-Files, so I haven't read as extensively as I usually do. And next month will be even worse, with me traveling abroad and everything. Anyway, let's see what we’ve got:

Heart- Shaped Box
A scary novel by "Joe Hill" (the pseudonym of a famous writer's son), Heart-Shaped Box is a fast-paced, entertaining thriller about an old rockstar and her goth girlfriend who are being relentlessly haunted by a ghost. And if you think ghosts are harmless, you haven't met this one.

Dead Witch Walking
The first book in the Rachel Morgan series, this book by Kim Harrison is lots of fun. We are introduced to Rachel Morgan, a witch who is being hunted by her old boss, who wants her dead. Add to that Rachel's friends, including pixy Jenks and vampire Ivy, and all hell is obviously about to break loose. A very enjoyable read, so much so that I've already bought the next two installments.

The Ribbajack
A collection of six short stories by reputed fantasy writer Brian Jacques, The Ribbajack & Other Haunting Yarns is cute, quirky, and very entertaining. It actually reminded me of old TV shows such as Amazing Stories and Tales From the Crypt. A fun, easy read.

Chocolat
You probably know this book because of the movie starring Juliette Binoche and Johnny Depp. Well, Joanne Harris’s novel is a terrific read, and I enjoyed it tremendously. In fact, I want to go rent the movie now, just to see how good an adaptation it actually is!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mes lector que podría pasar por bastante cargado para mucha gente (entre los que, desgraciadamente, me tengo que incluir). Eso sí, Fel, según tus escalas, es un tanto decepcionante.

¿4 míseros libros? ¿En qué estabas pensando?

;P

Mario Alba said...

Hahaha. Ya te digo. Se ve que me he pasado el mes haciendo otras cosas. A esos cuatro hay que añadir Johnny One-Eye, que empecé, abandoné, retomé, y volví a abandonar. De todas formas, y para mis estándares, sí es bastante poco ;)