Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

What Would the Devil Wear if He Lived in NY? (and was a woman)


I just came back from the movie theater, where I went to see The Devil Wears Prada. And hey, it was a lot of fun, and I really enjoyed it. Meryl Streep does a great job with her relentless character, Anne Hathaway is good too, and Stanley Tucci is priceless. The story is fast paced and entertaining, and even though it's not too difficult to imagine how things are going to end, it's still a fun ride. Oh, and the redhead (Emily Blunt) is really, really cute, but she needs to eat more. Her character says she hasn't eaten in weeks because she's trying to lose weight, and, truth is, she does look like she's only heard of food (that persistent myth). At any rate, it's worth seeing. Much more compelling and entertaining than certain return from certain Kryptonian whose sense of fashion is also a bold statement of his personality. And hey: the girls working at The Rave in Chattanooga were wearing red horns on opening day. It just doesn't get better than that!

3 comments:

huitzilin said...

I read in the NY Times that folks who know the fashion world say it isn't a convincing portrayal of that life. Actually, what they said was something along the lines of "it's what people who know nothing about the fashion world expect the fashion world to be." Oh, and they said Meryl Streep was too pretty to be that editor.

Anonymous said...

It seems that finn5fel hasn't abandoned his policy of seeing every good movie (and many of the not-so-good) on its opening day yet. Of course, with red-horned girls around, who wouldn't?

Mario Alba said...

Lori,
Meryl Streep is not, by any stretch of the imagination, pretty, but I guess that's kind of subjective. Regarding the accurate portrayal of the fashion world, I sure have no idea if it's accurate or not (it's been far too long since I last worked as a model). The movie is based on a book by somebody who worked there and then wrote about it, so I would expect some degree of realism. Then again, she might have made many things up and changed as many, right before the screenwriters and director jumped on the bandwagon and changed the book some more. So, I can't say anything about that. Then again, the movie portrays fashion people as cajoling asses and starving starlettes who would sell their mothers for a shot at success, so of course the Fashion People are going to act outraged and say that is not the truth. I'll just say I do find the movie believable; but, then again, I don't know anything about the fashion world, and maybe that's why I find verisimilitude when there may be none. Catch-22!
And Halagan,
Even though I saw it a few days after opening (it opened last Friday, when I went to see Superman Returns instead), I did like it much better than Supes. And Cars. And X-Men 3. And, come on: horny girls all over the place? (What an easy pun, I know, but spare me.)