Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Thou Shalt not Suffer a Witch to Live


A couple of days ago, I finished Writ in Blood, the first book in the Serenity Falls trilogy. I had never read anything by the author, James A. Moore -I hadn't, in fact, even heard his name before-, and I am really, really glad I picked up this book. Each chapter is divided in three different parts. In the first one, and old resident of the aforementioned town talks to different people in an effort to compile a history of Serenity Falls. In the second one, we get to read different parts of that history, only to discover there have been an awful lot of people murdered by their good neighbors in this town over the years. Also, you get to see whose relatives are still around and why they are the way they are. And in the third part, we get to follow Jonathan Crowley (a sort of badass Wesley Windham-Price from Buffy), a mysterious supernatural hunter. He is a brutal fighter with little or no feelings whatsoever, but he is clearly the author's favorite part, because the narration is at its best in these sections of the chapters. The book is violent and horrifying, but it is told in an amused way in which you can almost hear the detached narrator chuckling and having a great time. I'm still to read the other two books, but this one is supremely entertaining.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, so, another book you're practically forcing me to read. Someday. Do you never read anything despicable? If you ever do, please tell me, so that I can rejoice about how I will never read it.

Mario Alba said...

Hahaha. I've come across the occasional bad book, but I don't usually talk about those, hehe. But this book IS a lot of fun, and you could do worse than reading it, that's for sure.

Anonymous said...

Okay, okay. Copy. Roger roger. Loud and clear. Ahem... I will read it.
(Grrr... I hate you...)