Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Thursday, July 06, 2006

There's no other like your mother

This has to be the tackiest music video ever. Undoubtedly everyone will remember Mr. T, from the A-Team. Yeah, that TV show in which every episode went just like the previous one: an attractive farmer’s daughter hires them because of the owner of a large estate, who wants to steal their land (she talks with Hannibal, who happens to be disguised as a dinosaur with a great cigar in his mouth); the A-Team comes (not before having broken into a mental hospital to recruit the mad Murdock, who, BTW, will have throughout all the episode a puppet sock in his hand) after drugging Mr. T, who is afraid of flying; Face and the farmer’s daughter flirt with each other; they pay a visit under disguise to the bad guy and his thugs, and a great brawl follows (at least a couple of tables and windows are gonna be broken, they like it or not); the bad guy vows revenge and, after two or three possible variants, depending on the episode, a final attack is set; far away, an army General hears that the four fugitives have been spotted and rushes to go catching them; the A-Team make the most of the farmer’s old warehouse, which happens to be a DIY superstore (and it always contains: an old broken car chassis, a not-so-broken car motor, a lot of steel sheets and a welding torch); then the final battle is fought (and, although many bullets –and nails- are fired, nobody actually dies) and the bad guy is forced to leave with his metaphorical tail between his real legs; Face and the farmer’s daughter flirt with each other a little bit more; just when the A-Team is ready to leave they see the aforementioned General, who comes for them (causing an uproar at the front of a extremely large convoy, all lights and alarms set off), but too late; they escape, and the episode finishes with Mr. T throwing a punch to Murdock because of some stupid joke with the puppet sock he’s just made. By the fun of it, check this page out.


Back to the video, if you manage to see it till the end, you will gain all of my admiration and respect. Those lyrics, those three girls in the back trying to dance but not succeeding in their task, those lights, that bad interpreted scene of the beginning and Mr. T’s subsequent speech… Priceless. Because it isn’t worth a penny.

6 comments:

Mario Alba said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mario Alba said...

That was really, really painful. Your summary of an A-Team episode is great though, and I'm still laughing. And the Episode Generator page is hilarious. (People have a lot of free time)
Talking about horrible songs, I have a little horror story for you. I've been spending a few days in Perry, GA, which is 3.5 to 4 hours away from Chattaparty. On the way here, my friend Amy, in whose car we were traveling, decided to play a CD with songs she liked from the year she spent in Spain (school year 2004-2005). Well, every single song (except for two) was horrendously atrocious, all Eurovision-worthy material. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about (and, even worse, you've probably suffered through all those hideous songs many times) And when I thought nothing else could make me cringe (or restart the heaving I had been experiencing), THE song came up. The song that, thanks to you and our little Messenger conversation last week, I was able to recognize. You know what I'm talking about. That abyssmal "Obsession" song. I've been having nightmares ever since.

Anonymous said...

Aaaarrrgghhhh!!!
You gotta be kidding me. Or it must be some kind of destiny issue. Written-in-stone stuff, you know. Just a few days ago, you refused to listen THE song from beginning to end, and now THE song follows and catches you. Now you're haunted, just like me. Do what you want, but it will never leave you. My old friend: we're doomed.

"No, it's not love. What you're feeling is called obsession"

Mario Alba said...

pI'm definitely being haunted by that stupid song. And, as I said, there were a bunch of other hideous songs you probably know. Amy didn't know the names of the songs or singers (it's a good thing she liked them; I don't know what would happen if she didn't), but I'm sure you'll recognize them if I quote them. One of them went something like "estoy divina de la muerte", which made me gag and retch (it wasn't pretty), and somehow made me think of somebody's muerte indeed. Another masterpiece said something about "antes muerta que sencilla", and after ten seconds of listening to it, I was certainly willing to help her die a thousand horrible deaths, because I kept thinking "antes muerta que cantando". It's a good thing she wasn't there in person; otherwise, I would be writing this in jail.
And I think I should write a horror story called "THE song". Dig it, sister.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I know those songs. Who wouldn't, living in so a dumb-music-filled as this one? I despise each and every one of them, but (apart of my particular "obsession") the song that you correctly mentioned, "Antes muerta que sencille" is specially hideous. Not because of the song itself, which should be enough, but because of who sings it, a ten-something year old repulsive girl who sings about the "important things" in life: if you wanna be cool, you have to dress fashionably and wear a lot of make up. The important thing is the shell. What are we teaching to our children? I still remember Fraggle Rock and Sesame Street...

said...

el equipo A, que recuerdos!