Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Siblings on the Moon


I've been telling Halagan about Ultra: Seven Days, by the Luna Brothers, in my comments to one of the posts below, so I decided to make it "official" and talk about it out here. Ultra was the first book the two brothers put out, and it's been followed by Girls, and a Spiderwoman miniseries for Marvel Comics.
Ultra is a fun book about three superheroines and their romantic issues. They always complain about how hard it is to find a nice guy, and so on and so forth. I like romantic comedies, I kinda like chick flicks (I confess), and I like humor. And this book has all those ingredients. The artwork is really distinctive. I don't like all that much, but it's not bad, and it fits the story, so I won't complain too much about it. But I definitely think the story and dialogue are far better than the artwork. This is one of those books you should get because of the story rather than the pretty pictures.
Regarding Girls (check out this interview about the launching of the series a while ago), I've only read the first trade paperback (the second one is out already), which compiles the first six issues of the series. The first issue is HILARIOUS, and is, by far, the best one. Sharp dialogue and funny situations will make you laugh until you cry. After that, the book is still enjoyable, and I most certainly recommend it... but it gets weirder and weirder. You've been warned.

No comments: