Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Third Time's Not the Charm

I had to wait until my road trip was over to go see the new Mummy, Tomb of the Dragon Emperor. I had been spectacularly underwhelmed by the preview, but I do like the first two movies (especially the first one), and I wanted to check it out. So I went to see it.

The movie has gotten ridiculously harsh reviews, and the truth is that this time I tend to agree with the critics. I found this third Mummy barely entertaining, and I think I can pinpoint what failed to impress me.

First of all, the story didn't exactly blow me away. The opening tale of the Dragon Emperor (Jet Li) wasn't compelling at all, and everything that followed was just half-hearted. The interaction between O'Connell and his son was okay, but I missed the O'Connell/Evey dynamic that was so much fun in the previous chapters of the saga. This lack of chemistry might have been due to the fact that Rachel Weisz didn't reprise her role and Maria Bello portrayed the character instead, I don't know. She doesn't do a bad job, but the chemistry just isn't there. Brendan Fraser is funny, but the witty dialogue and hilarious one-liners that were everywhere in the first movie are nowhere to be found. There're some attempts at comedy (mostly by John Hannah), and I even chuckled a couple of times, but the writing was lackluster. Also, and maybe worst of all, the plot seemed to drive the characters' actions on more than one occasion, and that bothered me. Some actions and behavior were clearly motivated because the plot said so, not because it was coming from the characters or flowed from the story. On at least three instances, I found myself thinking "Come on! Why would he ever do that?" The reason was that he did that because the plot demanded it for the story to move forward. Never mind it was stupid or that it didn't make sense. It just had to happen, and apparently the writers couldn't find a less clunky way to do it. A shame.

Some of the action scenes I did like, like the battle in the snow, but most of them left me indifferent. And that is a good way to describe the impression the movie made on me. I might as well have gotten up to get something to drink and then returned to my seat, and I wouldn't have thought I was missing anything important. My advice therefore is that, if you really, really like the first two films, then wait and rent this movie when it comes out on DVD. If, on the other hand, you thought the previous installments were just sort of okay, I think you won't like this movie at all. Your call.

10 comments:

Recaredo said...

Pues una pena, porque a mi me gustaron mucho las dos primeras pelis, y la música de la segunda en especial. Para mi Fraser era una gran promesa, sin embargo me resistía a encasillarlo dentro de la comedia, sino mas bien como el nuevo dandy de Hollywood, alejado de los pichaflojas del tipo Ben Affleck o Leonardo Di Caprio.

Ya os daré mi opinión en cualquier caso cuando la vea.

Anonymous said...

So, Jet Li's the one-eyed man in the kingdom of the blind. Good for him!

This might well be for me this year's most worthless movie. Based on Fel's review and my own common sense.

Mario Alba said...

Spectacularly disappointing. Oh, well...

Y hablando de (posibles) decepciones, hoy estrenan The Clone Wars, hehehe.

Anonymous said...

Película que, la verdad, no creía que fuera Lucas a tener la temeridad de estrenarla en cines. Porque la va a ir a ver Rita.

O sea, que no creo que acabe siendo una decepción, porque no creo que nadie tenga muchas esperanzas depositadas en ella.

Igual si algún día la echan por la tele...

Mario Alba said...

En Entertainment Weekly le dan una F, hahahaha!

Nash said...

Hoy he visto la peli de la momia 3 y la verdad es que tampoco es nada del otro mundo, entretenida y punto, memos mal que tenemos estrenos e-mule me doleria haber pagado 6€ por verla, pero si es gratis estas en tu casa tirado en el sofa no esta tan mal.
Clon Wars... yo estoy esperando todavia que hagan las peliculas del EP1 algo que cuente el origen de Anakin y como se paso al lado oscuro :-)

Anonymous said...

Y un podrimiento del 11% en Rottentomatoes. Y un 5,3 ahora mismo en IMDb. Sí, parece que esta vez sí que será el gran momento de esta saga en los Oscar. ;P

Por cierto Nash, muy de acuerdo contigo. Yo también ardo en deseos por que Lucas saque ya las tan esperadas precuelas de SW. Presiento que van a ser algo digno de verse...

Mario Alba said...

Ya que sale el tema Lucas, leed esto.

Anonymous said...

"George: Stick to the moneymaking, which is what your empire does best. Leave the moviemaking to somebody else."

¡¡¡JAJAJAJA!!! No podría estar más de acuerdo. Que Lucas siga en su línea, que el mundo ya está avisado. El que vaya a ver alguna de sus películas que sepa a lo que va.

Y sobre lo que dice el redactor acerca del Episodio IV, estoy de acuerdo en parte. Sin duda es una gran película, pero entre sus mayores virtudes no están ni la dirección de Lucas ni sus diálogos (los que escribió él).

Si no hubiera habido después un Imperio Contraataca, no creo que se hablara mucho de SW hoy día.

Mario Alba said...

Estoy de acuerdo, tanto contigo como con el periodista :)