Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Don't Give Up

I was anticipating the new X-Files movie because I love the show. I bought the whole nine seasons on July 2007, and spent ten months watching my way through all that goodness. It was a huge coincidence that, when I was more than halfway through the series, series creator Chris Carter announced the new movie would open on July 25. I had just enough time to finish the show comfortably, and be ready for the movie. And not only did I finish watching the show, but I avoided seeing even one preview for the movie. Therefore, I went to the theater having no idea what I would find.

The X-Files: I Want to Believe is pretty much a standalone episode that could have very well been part of the regular show. I liked the movie, but it didn't blow me away. I enjoyed meeting Mulder and Scully again, and seeing how the intervening years had affected their lives and appearance. It was the interaction between Mulder and Scully that I enjoyed the most in the movie. The story, on the other hand, was okay and actually quite terrifying for a couple of reasons, but it wasn't the best X-Files story I've been told. It was suspenseful and intense, but it also had lots of calmer scenes in which Mulder and Scully talked and revealed their personalities and views of the world.

There were only a couple of references to previous events on the show, but nothing that would prevent the occasional moviegoer to enjoy and understand the film completely. There were a few new characters, like hot Amanda Peet's Agent Dakota Whitney, and an old (and very dear) character from the show that just put a smile on my face as soon as he appeared.

To sum it up, The X-Files: I Want to Believe is a worthy addition to the series while working as a standalone movie, and if you're in the mood for some thrills and interesting ideas and debates, by all means go see it. And did I mention how gorgeous Gillian Anderson is?

PS: If you go see the movie, stay until the end of the credits. You're welcome.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Never seen the show ('cept for a couple episodes), and not planning on going to watch this movie either.

But I'm kind of curious about this show. Everybody tells me how great it was and all that stuff, so I suppose I should watch it some time.

If by next year (when I'll got the money) I find the whole nine seasons under 120€, I'm all for buying them.

Mario Alba said...

You should definitely get the show. Awesome stuff!