Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Friday, September 23, 2011

Dissent

Here you have a picture I drew for the school's newspaper. As usual, they let me do whatever I wanted, and while I was trying to come up with something, my wife had an idea. We usually talk (and complain) about people wanting you to think the way they do, to accept their "values" (read prejudices) and conform, to fit in. In one word: to be one of them because being different and thinking for yourself is not good. She told me I should draw a version of that scenario in which some people who dare to differ are surrounded by an angry mob of people unwilling to accept not only their ideas, but the fact that they could actually have their own beliefs.
The interesting thing about this picture is that I drew it in ink directly. I spent about five minutes sketching the most basic of sketches (how many people I was going to have in the picture and little else), and then I moved in with my black pen immediately. This means that some details and faces would have looked a bit better had I drawn them in pencil beforehand, but the fear and trepidation of working directly with ink was a fun challenge.
In the end, while I don't think this picture is amazing, I think it turned out rather nicely, and I am curious to see how people react to it. Seeing as the last thing I drew for the paper was penguins and lions, I'm sure this will, if nothing else, catch them by surprise. I'll keep you updated!

2 comments:

Nash said...

Esta genial, las caras de la gente enfadada son muy buenas y las de apuro de las niñas...
Realmente impresionante.

Mario Alba said...

Me alegro de que te guste :)