Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Mutant Domination

I guess I must have seen a different Wolverine than pretty much every critic on the planet, because I honestly thought the movie was awesome. I know nobody in this movie will win an Oscar for their performance, but let me tell you one thing: Hugh Jackman IS Wolverine. The Australian actor does once again a formidable job as the Canadian killing machine, and this movie actually explains why he became the best there is at what he does. The story is tight, interesting, dark and dramatic, packed with amazingly tragic and heart-wrenching moments, and it still manages to get in a few laughs with witty oneliners, and friendly banter. Plus, the action scenes scattered throughout the movie are vicious, intense, and adrenaline-driven.

But Hugh Jackman is not the only one to shine in this movie, since Liev Schreiber does an amazing job as Sabretooth, Logan's nemesis. I didn't know what to expect, seeing as Schreiber seemed an odd pick for the character, but he absolutely steals the show and makes Victor Creed a villain who is both lethal and an asshole but also intriguing and charismatic.

The supporting characters are also well cast, and Taylor Kitsch as Gambit, Danny Huston as Stryker, and (superhot) Lynn Collins as Kayla Silverfox shine on their own right. They deliver solid performances and complete a superbly entertaining movie that never has a dull moment.

There are plenty of other characters, and people who are familiar with the comic books will be rewarded with cameos and characters they will recognize. Also, continuity fans will find this movie flawlessly sets the stage for the first X-Men movie, so the script works really well and the film fits the franchise continuity perfectly. (Except for why Sabretooth is so awesome in this movie and such a lame character in X-Men, of course.)

Regarding the things I didn't like, I am just being nitpicky here, but I would have liked to have more Gambit in the movie. The Cajun has always been, along with Logan, my favorite X-Man, and I wish he would have had more onscreen time. But whatever little time he did have, he was great. (And I liked his purple shirt a lot.) Also, I would have liked to get more Wade, because I've always loved the Merc-with-a-mouth, but he only has a couple of scenes to shine. But, as I said, the movie works extremely well the way it is, and these are just things I would have liked from a fanboy's perspective.

Finally, if you go see it, wait until the end of the credits. (And talking about credits: the opening credits reminded me a lot of Watchmen’s.) There is a hidden scene ten seconds after the credits begin to roll, but then there's a second one at the very end, so just be patient and wait for a while. It is by no means vital, but fans of the comic books will certainly get a kick out of it.

So there you go. I went to see this movie with extremely low expectations, and it blew me away. It was the most fun I've had in the movie theater this year, and I am shocked (well, not really) at the poor reviews it's gotten. Nothing like going to see it yourself to form your own opinion!

13 comments:

Nash said...

A mi la peli me gusto, esta bastante entretenida, me jode que dientes de sable sea hermano de lobezno pero bueno.
Es una pena que saquen tan poco probecho al grupo de mutantes que reune striker. Menos historia de amor y más escenas de accion.
Y se podian haber gastado algo más de pasta en efectos especiales que hay algunos momentos que da un poco de grimilla la peli.

Mario Alba said...

No eres el primero que menciona lo de los efectos especiales, pero yo la verdad es que en ningún momento pensé que fueran malos, y eso que la vi dos veces.

Con respecto al grupo de Stryker, es verdad que se les podría haber sacado más provecho, pero la función del grupo en la película es presentar a los personajes en contexto rápidamente, para que después vayan apareciendo poco a poco a lo largo de la película. La película es la historia de Lobezno, no de su grupo de operaciones especiales, y por eso el tiempo que al grupo se le dedica me parece apropiado. Me hubiera gustado ver más, pero realmente no es necesario, y por tanto no me molestó.

Lo que sí me molesta (bueno, no demasiado), es lo de los dos finales diferentes, pero no hay mucho que pueda hacer al respecto...

Nash said...

finn la presentación del grupo es un tanto lamentable, para que mandas a tode el grupo si actuan de uno en uno, y solo con el "zero" tenian más que suficiente y por que no hace nada lobezno o victor...se podrian haber currado un poco más esa escena.

Mario Alba said...

Es verdad que la escena está pensada para que cada agente se luzca individualmente, o para que cada agente se encargue de una parte específica de la misión. Con respecto a Logan y Creed, creo que su "misión" en la misión es precisamente mostrar cómo empiezan a distanciarse, en parte el objetivo de dicha escena.

Anonymous said...

Graacias, Nash, por los spoilers.

Mario Alba said...

Just leave it to Nash...

Nash said...

Lo siento Halagan, la culpa es de finn que me hace hablar, la proxima vez avisare...

Mario Alba said...

Échame a mí la culpa... Aunque no te sientas demasiado mal, que Halagan dijo que no estaba interesado en la peli.

De todas formas, lo que hemos comentado sucede en los primeros diez minutos del film, así que tampoco es que hayamos destripado demasiado :)

Anonymous said...

Jeje, esta bien. Como dice Fel, la verdad es que tampoco me muero por ver la pelicula. Es solo que soy un poco anal para ciertas cosas.

Hace poco me destriparon el gran secreto tras la ultima temporada de Battlestar Galactica (que he terminado de ver hoy, critica pronto), y casi me dio un patatus (de los que llevan acento en la "u")...

Mario Alba said...

Ufff... A ver si me pongo con la segunda temporada...

Otra peli estupenda que vi ayer es Star Trek. ¿Quién lo hubiera imaginado?

Anonymous said...

Pues yo no, desde luego.

Las notas que ya tiene tanto en Rotten Tomatoes como en IMDb son la verdad impresionantes.

Si al final este va a ser el año de las potenciales pifias que acaban siendo peliculones.

Nash said...

La verdad es que despues de ver el trairler me apetece ver StarTrek tiene muy buena pinta.

Mario Alba said...

Star Trek rules!