Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Saturday, May 23, 2009

Dark Illuminati

Ron Howard’s Angels & Demons opened last Friday, and I decided to go check it out since I had thoroughly enjoyed the book a few years ago. I remembered The Da Vinci Code (both film and novel) disappointed me, but I had liked Angels & Demons better than Langdon’s second adventure, and I had read it so long ago that I thought I wouldn’t remember much of anything, which would mean I wouldn’t be able to complain when they changed things or did them differently. And I was right.

From what I remember from the book, Howard’s film follows Dan Brown’s novel closely, but I might be wrong about that. Still, the screenplay by David Koepp and Akiva Goldsman captures the essence of the book perfectly: the breakneck speed, the crazy hunt for clues in Italy, the quickly approaching deadline, the great Renaissance art… Everything that I remember enjoying in the book is present in the movie, and since I liked the book, I also enjoyed the film quite a bit.

Still, if you haven’t read the book, I think you can enjoy this thriller for what it is: a rollercoaster of an adventure that never stops once it gets rolling. Plus, Tom Hanks’s Robert Langdon isn’t sporting that ridiculous and universally mocked hairdo he had in The Da Vinci Code. From there, things only get better.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The movie changes the ending and the new pope. But it was fast-paced and enjoyable.

Mario Alba said...

Talking about movies, I just came back from Terminator Salvation. I'll say it's better than T3, but only by this much. Avoid it!

(More on this next week.)

Anonymous said...

And the obvious just got confirmed. If only Christian Bale had not starred in it, nobody would have expected anything from the new Terminator. It just smelt rotten since day one.

On regarding A&D, I agree that the book was way better than The Da Vinci Code. And, now that I think of it, its story seemed to be much more suited for the big screen than the one of its sequel. I'm not rushing to go see it, but I'll definitely check it out sooner than later.

BTW, when is Dan Brown going to finish his new book? Wasn't it supposed to be published last spring?

Nash said...

Joder si que fuese mejor que T3 es facil...como que no existe. Ya dije yo que hera mejor no esperar mucho de esa peli. Que triste es tener razón

Anonymous said...

Y tanto que T3 no existe. Vamos, yo es que ni la he visto siquiera. Ya podia haber hecho lo mismo con las precuelas Star Wars, pero en fin.

Mario Alba said...

Salvation es una porquería, y ahora que ya he vuelto de Disney escribiré la crítica para ponerla pronto.
Con respecto al nuevo libro de Dan Brown, si no ha salido ya, está al caer. Y supongo que podría mirarlo en Amazon... Vale, ya lo he mirado. The Lost Symbol sale el 15 de septiembre, así que paciencia, fans amarronados ;)