Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Monday, August 31, 2009

Reading List: August

It feels like just the other day I came back from San Diego and wrote the list for July, but another month has gone by, and I have read some more books. Let’s see what I feasted on in August:

Empowered, vol. 5
Yet another fun entry in this hilarious series by Adam Warren. I actually got this volume signed by the author at the San Diego Comic Con, and while it wasn’t as awesome as volume four, it was still a terrific read.

Mandy’s Shorts
This book by Dean Yeagle is divided into three short stories starring Mandy, Yeagle’s prone-to-lose-her-clothes heroine. The artwork is phenomenal, and the stories are terribly cute, and I will certainly buy more books by the author. I also met him in San Diego, and he signed the book for me and drew a quick head sketch while we chatted about his visit to Valencia many years ago. A great read!

Q is for Quarry
Yet another Kinsey Millhone adventure by Sue Grafton, Q is for Quarry is actually based on an unsolved case. Grafton takes the known facts and takes them in a completely imagined direction that actually makes sense and also makes for a thoroughly entertaining read. Go Kinsey!

The Pillars of the Earth
I already gushed about how incredibly brilliant Ken Follett’s novel is. Go read it. Now.

Remote, vols. 1 through 7
A friend wanted to read this manga series by Seimaru Amagi and Tetsuya Koshiba, and I decided to re-read it so I could actually talk about it with her. (Needless to say, I had forgotten pretty much everything except for how much I liked it.) And I am pleased to say Kurumi’s adventures are as much fun the second time around as they were the first time!

The Wheel of Darkness
Another Pendergast adventure by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child, The Wheel of Darkness takes place after The Book of the Dead, the third and last book in the “Diogenes Trilogy”. As it’s usually the case with Preston and Child, this novel is a non-stop rollercoaster of a thriller, and I certainly recommend it to any fan of the genre, even though the ending was a bit weak.

Remote, vols. 8 through 10
The last three volumes of this fun series, I read them quickly and I enjoyed them a lot. Just like the previous seven.

And that’s it for August. I only read three novels, but the fact that The Pillars of the Earth is a thousand pages long compensates for it. At least in my mind. See you in September!

No comments: