Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Saturday, August 26, 2006

Dreadful Story


I just finished reading Superman: Godfall, and I think it should be retitled Superman: Godawful. Because, ladies and gentlemen, this story sucks.
I've never been a big fan of Superman (even though I love Smallville, which is not as contradictory as it might sound), I admit it. In fact, this is one out of two Supes books I have (the other one is the way more entertaining Batman/Superman vol. 2, the one about Supergirl). And truth is, I bought it because of the pretty pictures.
The great Talent Caldwell drew the original six issues, and the even greater Michael Turner drew the covers. The eye candy is there: terrific pictures with incredible colors, provided by the amazing Peter Steigerwald. However, that's all there is to this book. The story is horrendous: it's boring, uninteresting, somewhat confusing, and, above all (you guessed it), not compelling at all.
My recommendation is that, if you want to enjoy Caldwell's artwork, go and get Fathom: Dawn of War, or even WildCats: Nemesis (the story is not great either, but Nemesis is way more interesting a character than Lyla). Plus, he's working on the relaunch of Gen13, and the pictures look gorgeous so far. So listen to me, and stay away from this paperback. You're welcome.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nunca he sido muy de Superman, yo tampoco. Hace poco me enteré de que había kryptonita de distintos colores, que provocaban efectos distintos en Superhombre. Como las pociones que se tomaban los Snow Bros., del videojuego, la roja para la velocidad, la azul para el grosor de los proyectiles, y la amarilla para la distancia del disparo. ¿O era al revés?

Mario Alba said...

No me acuerdo de los bonus en concreto, pero resulta que también tengo ese juego en su versión emulada directamente de la máquina recreativa. Tendré que meterlo en un CD junto al TMHT y mandártelo para rememorar viejos tiempos. Ah, qué gran juego, Snow Bros.