Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Naked All Over Europe

I watched both She's the Man and EuroTrip within a week of each other, and it's kid of weird how both movies are very much alike while at the same time being completely different. I wanted to watch EuroTrip because I'm a big Michelle Trachtenberg fan, and I had been told the movie was hilarious. So I rented it and proceeded to be entertained for about an hour and a half.

After being dumped by his hot girlfriend (Smallville's Kristin Kreuk) on graduation day, Scott (Scott Mechlowicz) is talked into going to Berlin to meet his incredibly hot German penpal Mieke (Jessica Boehrs). For a series of reasons, both Scott and his best friend and traveling companion (Jacob Pitts) end up in Paris, where they team up with two classmates who were planning on backpacking across Europe (Travis Wester and Michelle Trachtenberg). From there, the four of them will try to make it to Berlin so that Scott can meet Mieke, but pretty much everything that could go wrong goes wrong.

Just like She's the Man, EuroTrip is funny, it has a cool soundtrack (especially that hilarious Lustra song Scotty Doesn't Know, sung in the movie by a Matt Damon like you've never seen before), and it also features Vinnie Jones in a small role related to soccer (what are the chances?). But unlike She's the Man, there's lots of nudity and profanity in this Trip, especially if you get the unrated DVD like I did. Plus, hardcore Christians might find a particular set of "adventures" toward the end in rather poor taste. (If you ask me, the Vatican's never been this much fun before, but what do I know.)

Just like She's the Man, the cast is likeable, and while EuroTrip won't redefine the genre either (something I don't think it tries to do anyway), I laughed out loud throughout the whole movie. Plus, it features one of the most bizarre scenes I have ever watched: the mime robot fight scene. Sounds ludicrous? Just wait until you watch it!

No comments: