Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Thursday, September 03, 2009

I [heart] Amy Adams

The only reason I wanted to watch Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day is because I love Amy Adams. I went to the movies to see Sunshine Cleaning because she was the main character, and I would even consider renting Enchanted (or even "better" Cruel Intentions 2) just to see her in action. Following the same reasoning, I just had to watch MPLFAD, with the added bonus that this one actually looked good. (As opposed to, say, Cruel Intentions 2, but I guess everyone needs to start somewhere.)

The movie stars Frances McDormand as Miss Pettigrew, a poor woman who lives in the train station because she has no food, no house, no clothes, no nothing. For a variety of reasons, she ends up working as the social secretary of the unlikely named Delysia Lafosse (Amy Adams), and hilarity ensues from there. Basically, MPLFAD is an old-fashioned screwball comedy (it even takes place in the thirties) in which Delysia has to juggle three different lovers who want her for different reasons while she tries to make up her mind and choose one of them. This is complicated, because she also wants them all for different reasons: one plays the piano with her (she's a singer), the other one owns the club she sings at, and the third one is putting together a musical and is looking for his star. As you can imagine, poor Delysia is having such a hard time dealing with this situation, so it's a good thing Miss Pettigrew shows up one morning. During that day, as you have probably predicted by now, both women will learn valuable lessons from each other, and you will be amused and entertained for an hour and a half.

I watched the movie with a smile on my face, but I never really burst out laughing. The movie is cute and sweet, and both McDormand and Adams do a great job, but it isn't a must see. If what I've said sounds interesting, you'll probably like the movie. If this review didn't speak to you, then the movie won't, either. But Amy Adams is great!

No comments: