Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Friday, October 21, 2011

The New 52

As you may or may not know by now, DC Comics has rebooted the whole DC Universe with 52 new number ones. I have never really followed any DC books, and I am pretty sick and tired of superhero comics, yet I found myself interested in trying out some of their series. Not only that, but, for the first time ever, I bought them digitally, so I said goodbye to good old paper and dived into the digital era of comics. And what do you know, I thoroughly enjoyed the experience.
I only bought four out of the fifty-two books, but I had a great time reading the ones I got. The first one I bought was Red Hood & the Outlaws #1, mostly because the tremendous Kenneth Rocafort drew the issue. I didn't know what it was about or who the characters were, but the beauty of The New 52 is that you don't have to. Therefore, I approached it without fear, and I had a blast. Scott Lobdell's story is interesting and fun, and the artwork out of this world, so make sure you check it out.
The second book I read was Voodoo #1. DC is integrating some of the Wildstorm Universe characters into the DC universe proper, and since I loved Ron Marz from Witchblade, and I remembered and liked Sami Basri from the same title, I thought I'd give it a try. Voodoo was definitely the weakest of the four comic books I read, yet it was still interesting and I will most likely get the trade when it comes out.
Batman #1 was my third purchase. I have never been a huge Batman fan, but the 11 O'Clock Comics guys were praising Scott Snyder's story, and I've always liked Greg Capullo's art, so I gave it a try. I didn't think it was as formidable a book as my favorite podcasters found it to be, but it was a very solid issue and I enjoyed it very much. And maybe I'm crazy, but I thought Capullo was drawing faces like he was Humberto Ramos. Did anyone notice this as well?
Last but not least, I bought the first issue of a series I had never ever read before, starring a character I had never read either: Batgirl #1. The art in the previews I had seen online looked good, and so I bought it to see what I thought about it. In short, I found both the story by Gail Simone and the drawings by Ardian Syaf more than competent, and I had a blast reading the book, so I think I will definitely continue to read the series. As a matter of fact, I think this one and Red Hood were my favorite two, so I'm glad I gave it a chance. I would suggest you do the same, and let us know what you think of this incredibly bold move DC has made. I, for one, am definitely willing to support them!

6 comments:

Nash said...

No me fio de los "renacimientos" de las series, ya paso con wildstorm y fue una mierda. Sinceramente paso de los comics,me han defraudado tanto los dibujantes como los guionistas, siempre resucitando gente y haciendo mierdas

Mario Alba said...

Está claro que hay series y "renacimientos" más que lamentables, pero también hay algunos buenos. De todas formas, y con alguna que otra excepción, es mejor concentrarse en series limitadas o seguir las series en tomo con convenientes arcos argumentales. Afortunadamente, todavía hay buenos dibujantes y guionistas trabajando por ahí :)

Nash said...

Si que quedan pero son los minimos y se venden a los dictamenes de las compañias que les importan un carajo los personajes y menos los lectores, solo quieren beneficios. Tienes razon con lo de las series limitadas, pero incluso en estas he visto cambios de dibujate y guionista, y normalemente a peor.

Mario Alba said...

Una forma de evitar creadores mercenarios es seguir series independientes en vez de series de, por ejemplo, Marvel. Las series independientes hechas por sus creadores se mantienen fieles a su espíritu original, y mantienen constante su equipo creativo. De hecho, excepto por Withcblade, todas las series que sigo son creator owned, en las que los artistas y guionistas que las crearon son los que la dibujan, la escriben, y la controlan sin interferencias editoriales:

1. Empowered: creada, escrita, dibujada y rotulada por Adam Warren en sus, de momento seis volúmenes.

2. The Goon: escrita y dibujada por Eric Powell durante sus, de momento, 35 números.

3. Locke & Key: escrita por Joe Hill y dibujada por Gabriel Rodríguez durante los 24 (más o menos) números que lleva.

4. Chew: escrita por John Layman y dibujada por Rob Guillory en los más de 20 números que lleva.

5. Orc Stain: escrita, dibujada, rotulada y coloreada por James Stokoe, que hace lo que le da la gana porque, por hacer, ha hecho hasta el logo de la serie.

Y luego, claro, las series manga mantienen siempre el equipo creativo, aunque ya sé que pasas bastante de las series japonesas. (Atento a mi próximo post, hehehe.)

Las series limitadas, normalmente, mantienen el equipo creativo también, pero es verdad que a veces cambian debido a razones de tiempo, y entonces es un desastre.

Pero vamos: el día que yo publique mi serie, la escribiré y dibujaré yo hasta que me canse, y entonces la terminaré y empezaré otra nueva, como debe ser :)

Carlos said...

A mi tampoco me habían interesado los cómics de DC pero como desde hace poco he encontrado paginas web donde me puedo descargar los cómics gratis pues nada le he dado una oportunidad... Aquaman, Badgirl, Superman... Hay algunos que están bastante bien. Me gusta mucho Red Hood es un personaje que se le puede sacar mucho partido...
Nacho cdo quieras ya sabes que están en mi ordenador ….

Mario Alba said...

Red Hood me gustó mucho, y estoy de acuerdo en que tiene muchas posibilidades. Habrá que esperar a ver qué hacen con él...