Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Monday, January 02, 2012

Am I Jaded?

Or is Hollywood getting worse and worse? Or perhaps my taste in movies is changing, but I don't think so. Let me backtrack for a second.

My wife and I went to see the new Sherlock Holmes the other day, and pretty much all the trailers that played before the feature looked appallingly horrible. What makes this distressing is the fact that said previews were for movies that I though I would be interested in seeing, or that, a long time ago, I would have found interesting. Not so much anymore, and my question is why. I still like fantasy and science fiction. I still like comic books. I still like special effects, and I still like to be blown away by a movie that shows me things I've never seen before. And maybe that's where the problem lies: that everything those previews had to offer seemed like some rehash of something I've seen before. The previews that apparently made me so despondent were The Dark Knight Rises, Battleship, Men in Black 3, and John Carter of Mars. Let's look at each one of them in slightly more detail.

1. The Dark Knight Rises is probably going to be a cool movie; after all, the first two Nolan-directed Batmans were pretty fantastic. However, this preview, which, admittedly, didn't show much, looked lackluster and spectacularly uninteresting. Will I go see the movie? Probably, because I trust Christopher Nolan. Did this preview want to make me go see the movie? Quite the contrary: it made me want to run in the opposite direction.

2. Battleship is the movie version of the old game, which in and on itself is a stupid idea. I do like alien-invasion movies, though, but this one looks so generic and uninspired that almost made me cry in despair and disappointment.

3. MIB3 should have looked awesome. I love sci-fi, Will Smith, and time travel, and this movie features all three... and yet it looked tired, boring, and repetitive. And in case you're wondering, I did like the first two, but I always thought they could have been better.

4. I had been dying to see previews for John Carter of Mars, and even my friends had said it looked pretty awesome, but, what can I say? It looked, well... not too exciting or appealing, but at least it looked better than the previous three. Will I see it when it opens? I don't really know.

So why didn't I care about any of those previews that would have made me drool just a few years ago? Maybe I'm getting tired of the same meal being cooked and reheated time after time after time, or maybe I'm becoming movie snob who only likes quirky tales like Martin Scorsese's Hugo. I think the former is more likely than the latter, though, because I still enjoy big mainstream movies such as Sherlock Holmes, but I don't know. Does the same happen to you? Are you jaded as well, or is originality in Hollywood really experiencing a slow, painful death?

12 comments:

Nash said...

De las pelis que pones solo me fió de la nueva Batman, MIB III puede ser un poco fiasco la de marte creo que va ser muy espectacular pero un autentico truño igual que la de batalla naval. Pero donde están los guionistas????

Mario Alba said...

Estoy de acuerdo. Y no sé si lo sabes, pero la película que tú llamas "Batalla naval" deberías llamarla "Hundir la flota," ya que está basada en el juego. Dónde están los guionistas...

Nash said...

Como coño hacen una película basada en el hundir la flota??? que será lo próximo, en Don Simon, si no aciertas los colores volara el mundo. Esto va de mal en peor. Si hay libros que son una maravilla solo con eso deberían tener material para años.

Nash said...

Te paso el link de un resumen de la que se nos avecina. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa_Dt54Msjc&feature=player_embedded&noredirect=1

Mario Alba said...

Don Simón es el zumo, así que supongo que quieres decir Simón a secas, hahaha. Pues no me extrañaría que hicieran la película: "si no aciertas los colores, volará el mundo". Desternillante :)

Mario Alba said...

En cuanto al vídeo de Youtube, se les ha olvidado poner La amenaza fantasma en 3D entre los grandes estrenos, hahaha.

Nash said...

La amenaza que...? ¿Es una nueva peli de acción? ¿Quien es el fantasma?

Mario Alba said...

Hahaha! Me parto, Nash. Me parto :) Te aseguro que me sé de uno que no irá a ver ninguna de las seis: yo.

Nash said...

Yo ire a ver la sagrada trilogia si es que llega a estrenarse, no estoy muy seguro de que las cifras acompañen a Lucas en esta nueva vuelta de tuerca, pero bueno.

Mario Alba said...

Si es por mí, no lo acompañarán :)

Anonymous said...

Pues yo no pienso ir ni loco a ver los reestrenos en 3D de la saga galáctica. Mantengo una duda razonable para el Episodio V, pero, aparte de eso, me niego a pagar una entrada de cine más al amigo Lucas.

Hablando de lo cual, ¿alguno habéis visto ya Red Tails?

Mario Alba said...

No, no he visto Red Tails, ni veré El imperio en 3D. A Lucas no le doy más dinero, y punto :)