Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Assembly Line II

I was hesitant to draw something else on this page because I really liked the way Grimlock turned out, and I thought that, unless I did as good a job with the second robot, I would spoil the picture. So no pressure, right? And all that on top of what I mentioned yesterday: how difficult it is for me to draw Transformers because they feel like buildings and technology all rolled into one neat package, and drawing both buildings and machines is something that I find incredibly hard to do.

The process was the same this second time around. After deciding I wanted to draw Wheeljack, I went online and found a bunch of pictures of the character I could base my drawing on. Fortunately, the different variations of the character don't differ too much from one another (as opposed to Grimlock's), so it was relatively easy to settle on Wheeljack's final aspect. Still, it also took me over three hours to go from pencils to markers to inks, but I am also reasonably satisfied with the results.

I had also considered drawing a third robot, which would have been either Blaster or Jazz, and I spent some time trying to fit him in the background, but it just didn't work. In the end, I settled for just drawing the last part of the picture: a screen with text, since this picture was, from the very beginning, intended as a personalized birthday card for a friend who loves Transformers.
And that's it for this picture. I hope you like it, and that you enjoyed reading about the creative process. Have a great day!

No comments: