Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Love me, Love me

This has to be the most out-of-character movie I’ve watched in a while, but I enjoyed it for the most part. The original title of this French movie is Jeux d’enfants (Quiéreme si te atreves in Spanish), and I watched it in French with English subtitles.

The movie was bittersweet, with lots of black humor and a pervasive twistedness that made it very interesting, surprising, but also quite wrong on more than one occasion. Basically, Love me if you Dare tells the story of a boy (Guillaume Canet) and a girl (Marion Cotillard) that grow up as best friends and like to play dares all the time. As they grow up, they become more and more attracted to each other, and the dares become more and more hurtful. I won’t spoil anything for you, but everything escalates progressively throughout the movie, and sometimes you really wonder what the hell they’re thinking.

The theme of perfect love and the impossibility thereof is manifest from beginning to end, and I found it as interesting as the idea of irresistible attraction that is presented along with it. Those are powerful, intriguing concepts, and seeing the characters navigate through their lives fighting their feelings while unable to stop feeling the way they feel was both fun and unnerving, seeing what they constantly do to each other.

Are you interested yet? If you are, check out this movie and let me know what you think!

No comments: