Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Monday, August 17, 2009

Timeless Love

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger was my favorite book of 2007, and I had been eagerly anticipating the movie version of that great story. After several delays and changes of dates, it finally opened last Friday, so I went to The Rave for the seventh time in the last three weeks.

The movie stars Eric Bana as the time traveler and Rachel McAdams as his wife, and they both do a great job of bringing Henry and Clare to the screen. As it's usually the case, the book goes into more detail and is more poignant: the sweetness is sweeter and the bitterness is darker and more disturbing. Still, the screenplay by Bruce Joel Rubin is true to the spirit of the book, and therefore the minor changes and omissions are forgivable.

The Time Traveler's Wife is romantic and bitter, sweet and dark, uplifting and heartrending, and I had a great time at the movies. As opposed to the book, which topped my Best of list in 2007, the movie version will not finish first in 2009, but it is highly recommendable, and I hope you guys give it a chance. So do yourself a favor, read the novel, and then go see the movie. I have a feeling I'll be getting it on DVD in the future.

6 comments:

Nash said...

El otro dia vi el trairle de la peli y realmente me llamo la atención, no es que tuviese pensado ir al cine a verla ya que la economia no esta para estas cosas pero si que me hare una copia de seguridad para verla.

Mario Alba said...

La peli mola, y el libro es excepcional. Ya me dirás qué tal sale la "copia de seguridad", so pirata ;)

Nash said...

El termino pirata suena muy mal, me gusta más el de encargado de seguridad para que las futuras generaciones puedan disfrutar del cine del siglo XX y XXI. Es un poco más largo pero creo que más acertado.

Mario Alba said...

Pero poner todo eso en una placa en tu puerta ocuparía demasiado. Sería más grande la placa que la puerta.

Jorge said...

Como bien dice finn5fel el libro es muy bueno, una historia bien trenzada, con sus altibajos emocionales y que consigue atraparte magistralmente en una bellísima historia de amor. Sin duda uno de los mejores libros que he leído últimamente y eso gracias al regalo del mismo que me hizo finn. Muchas gracias de nuevo!!

Mario Alba said...

De nada, de nada. Me alegro de que te gustara :)