Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Sunday, August 09, 2009

The Everlasting Battle

I hadn't been to the movies since I left for Spain, so I had to compensate for all the lost time, and the first week I was back in Chattanooga I went to the movies four times, The Ugly Truth being the third movie I saw in so many days.

TUT is one of those romantic comedies you can pretty much guess how it's going to end after you see the preview, but it looked like fun and it starred Gerard Butler being crass and Katherine Heigl being hot, so it sounded like a winning proposition to me. In the movie, Gerard Butler has a show called The Ugly Truth in which he tells people what they don't want to hear when it comes to romantic relationships: men only want to have sex, and women seem to be searching for a list of traits and qualifications instead of a real person. Needless to say, he ends up working with Katherine Heigl's character, who completely disagrees with his simplified view of things, but who finds herself following his advice when she wants to catch the cute doctor living next door. From here, you can pretty much guess what's going to happen without my help, but you know what? I really enjoyed this movie. I thought it was funny, and some scenes are truly hilarious, like that dinner at the restaurant. Gerard Butler is incredibly charismatic and does a good job of faking an American accent, and at an hour and thirty-six minutes, the movie never overstays its welcome. Therefore, if you've already seen The Proposal but are still in the mood for a romantic comedy (R rated, let's not forget, due to its delightful raunchiness), please check out The Ugly Truth. I think you'll like it.

No comments: