Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Setting Things Up

I had to wait until I came back from San Diego to go see Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, the eagerly anticipated sixth installment in the series. I read the book when it came out a long time ago, so it won't come as a surprise that I didn't remember much about it. As a matter of fact, there were only two things I remembered: the flashbacks dealing with Tom Riddle's childhood, and the death of a character. Therefore, I doubted the movie would disappoint me, since those two things had to be featured in the film one way or another.

I did enjoy the movie, and quite a lot. I liked the shy teen romance that permeated most of the scenes, and I think the actors did a very good job inhabiting these beloved characters once more. I tend to be particularly fond of Hermione, since she is my favorite character, and Emma Watson was great in the film.

The only thing that bothered me a little bit is that the story feels disjointed. When I stopped to think about what story I was being told, I couldn't really come up with an answer. There's Riddle's memories, the forming romantic relationships, Ron's sudden popularity in sports, Harry's interaction with the new Potions professor, the mysterious Half-Blood Prince's old book, Malfoy's shady business… But what's the main story? All of those, any of those? It seems to me the movie is an amalgam of mini-plots instead of a story with several subplots, and that its main reason to be is to set things up for the last film. But I am being nitpicky, since I did enjoy all the story threads, and it wasn't as if this lack of unified effect prevented me from having a great time at the movies. I therefore recommend the movie to everyone, but I guess that all the Harry Potter fans will have gone to see it already. Well, it was money well spent.

2 comments:

Nash said...

A mi me ha parecido la más floja de la saga, tambien lo es el libro, pero para colmo de males el final, que es lo más interesante tambien lo recortan y dejan completamente sin sentido la historia.
Espero que para la última se lo curren un poco más.

Mario Alba said...

Vale que lo recortaran, pero de ahí a decir que la "dejan completamente sin sentido", pues no sé. No recuerdo el libro, así que no sé si es el más flojo de la saga, pero teniendo en cuenta que los otros los recuerdo bastante mejor, tal vez sí lo sea, hahaha.

De todas formas, está claro que lo que hace la película es preparar el camino para la última, aunque tal vez debería decir "las dos últimas", ya que van a partirla en dos.