Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Sunday, August 30, 2009

I Don't Like Musicals

That is just a fact of life, my friends. Do you like musicals? I don't usually enjoy them, even though I've probably seen one or two that I did enjoy. (Grease comes to mind, and so does Sweeney Todd, but that one would be so much better if you replaced the songs with actual dialogue.) I guess that's why I had been putting off watching Moulin Rouge for the last eight years. My mom owns the DVD, and she had been asking me to watch it for at least five years, if not longer. So, last July (on my sister's wedding day, as a matter of fact), I finally gave in and watched it, and even though I thought it was okay (better than I anticipated), I think it'd be much better with more talking and less singing. Therefore, I must conclude that I just don't like musicals. Maybe it is because I find people who randomly break into song very unnatural and terribly unrealistic; or maybe it's because I really, truly love dialogue. (Probably a combination of the two.) Still, the story was interesting if not great, and the characters were okay, but not too terribly compelling. If nothing else, it managed to (mostly) hold my interest for the almost two hours it lasted, but I don't think I had been missing much before I watched it. The funniest thing was that, once the movie was over, my mom asked me what I thought, and after I shrugged and said it wasn't all that great, she said "Yeah, I don't like it too much, either." What's up with that? Why was she on my case for five (plus) years if she didn't even like the flick? Some things I just don't understand.

2 comments:

Nash said...

Esta es una peli que no me llama nada en absoluto, no creo que pierda el tiempo viendola.

Mario Alba said...

Ni te molestes, lo que yo te diga.